Thornton's Bookshop
 ( W A & J S Meeuws ) 
Established  in  1835

Member of the ABA since 1907

the previous generations
      Thornton's was established in 1835 by Joseph Thornton, with a cash capital of only £ 250! By  1870, the bookshop was able to move into the historic premises at No. 11 Broad Street, and in 1913 the shop was expanded to occupy most of No. 12 Broad Street. In 1983 the bookshop was saved from bankruptcy by the Meeuws family. In May 2003 the old bookshop, complete with ghost, moved to other premises on Boars Hill / Oxford and now  trades from Faringdon via mailorder and internet. The Broad street premises were re-opened as The Buttery, in December 2003, alas without books....In 2019 the shop was rebranded as The Shop of Secrets
      and in 2022 The Oxford Outlet Store